Parrot ownership questions

Claude

Parrot ownership questions

Postby Claude » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 pm

My daughter really wants to get a parrot. I've never owned a bird in my life so I don't really know what to expect. I have two cats and a dog right now so I don't know if this is going to be a good idea or not. My husband's grandmother had a parrot and she always let her wander around the house without a cage. Does anyone know if my cats will end up bothering this bird to the point where I have to keep it caged at all times?
Wenstar

Re: Parrot ownership questions

Postby Wenstar » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:00 pm

You may not really like my answer, and others may disagree, but I think you should probably refrain from getting a parrot. Cats and dogs may see the bird as prey, especially if they've never been around one before. Also, parrots require a lot of specialized care and experience. Maybe start off with a parakeet or cockatiel first before graduating to a large bird. They can be difficult and can actually cause a person a lot of harm if they bite. They can be rather temperamental.
Marjoram

Postby Marjoram » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:00 am

Parrots can live a very long time, so adoption is best viewed as a lifetime commitment. Actual life expectancy depends on type. Larger birds, such as African Greys, may well outlive their human companions!

My aunt-in-law had an African Grey for about 20 years before she passed. Her daughter inherited the parrot who, at last report, is still with her some 15 years later. (And he continues, no doubt, to lure passersby to his cage for a friendly nip. Firm training is a must.)
Wenstar

Postby Wenstar » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:57 pm

That is exactly right, Marjoram. Parrots have about the same lifespan as most humans. It is of utmost importance to make sure you have someone that can adopt and take care of them if they outlive you. They are definitely a pet for life. Even cockatiels can live well over 20 years.

Large birds have the mentality of 3-5 year old children and they will demand a lot of attention. They cannot be kept in their cage all the time and dogs and cats, no matter how well trained and obedient, should never be left alone with them. It only takes a second.
Sahara

Postby Sahara » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:43 pm

Cockatiels can be just as entertaining as parrots and they're a little easier to care for, although they're still a lot of work. I had a mother-in-law who had 23 exotic birds, including parrots, African greys, Amazons, and cockatoos, and it was a full time job taking care of all of them. There was also a cat and a dog in the house and everyone co-existed fine, but that may have been because the birds outnumbered the mammals!!

Return to “Health / Mental care”