Forever Caged

Dorothy

Forever Caged

Postby Dorothy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:30 pm

My neighbor has a zoo at her house. She has 6 cats, 2 dogs and 2 tropical birds. None of the animals except the dogs ever go outside. The dogs only go to potty. It seems cruel to me to keep the birds caged all the time. Is there a way to let them out to fly and exercise their wings without them getting away?
whiteTiptoes

Re: Forever Caged

Postby whiteTiptoes » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:52 am

If there is a way to exercise birds without their escaping, I surely don't know about it. My cousin kept birds when we were both in grade school (which is to say... my grandmother really "kept" them...) and I always felt like you about it -- it's cruel to keep an animal in a cage all the time. Eventually my grandmother came to feel the same way about it and "accidentally" left their cage door open.
AlliKat

Postby AlliKat » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:17 am

If their wings are clipped then they could be let out. Any vet or pet store should know how to do it. They wouldn't really be able to fly except short distances, if that, so they can still stretch their wings without escaping. Though with all the cats and dogs you'd have to be sure of their safty
Dorothy

Postby Dorothy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:23 pm

That's an idea AlliKat. I don't know if she has had their wings clipped or not but it is something I could ask her. Any freedom is better than none at all for a wild animal or bird.
whiteTiptoes

Postby whiteTiptoes » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:04 pm

Clipping their wings almost seems cruel, though. Of course, I am in that group of people who would not de-claw a cat. I guess I just think that if you have to alter an animal from its natural state in order to keep it as a pet... well, maybe it's not meant to be a pet.
Harvey

Postby Harvey » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:50 pm

Interesting! I'm not a fan of birds. I thought that most people let them fly around their house. I don't like the idea of clipping their wings either. Seems very cruel.
AlliKat

Postby AlliKat » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:45 pm

Clipping their wings doesn't hurt them and they can still get from place to place. It's sort of like a chicken they can get some air just not fly around.
kibbles

Postby kibbles » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:14 pm

Lots of people have parrots and budgies and suchlike though, which is not that different to tropical birds? They fly around the house for exercise as far as I know. I personally know a good number of people whose cats are indoor cats because it's not so safe to let them roam outside. I would say that if you take an animal which has already experienced the outdoors and cage it, then that does seem cruel. But animals which have always lived indoors surely don't know any different?
BlueEyedGirl

Postby BlueEyedGirl » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:35 am

I have never had an interest in having birds as a pet because I feel it is sad that they are caged nearly all the time. However, many of the birds that are sold in pet stores were actually hatched in a cage, so cage life is really all they have known. As for having their wings clipped, this is normally done by a vet and is a very safe procedure that causes them no pain. But, I would worry too about the safety of your friend's birds being outside the cage with all those other animals roaming around inside.

Return to “Habitats”