Scared of new toys

Wenstar

Scared of new toys

Postby Wenstar » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:57 pm

Whenever I try to add new toys to my budgie's cage, he gets really scared and starts flapping around so much that I'm afraid he'll hurt himself. I've tried setting them near the cage where he can see it, and then hanging them on the outside of the cage, until he gets used to them. That usually goes well until I try to stick them inside the cage.

He will accept small toys, like bells, but anything larger, even new perches, he just gets really scared. Any ideas on how to better approach this would be welcomed.
Cassie

Re: Scared of new toys

Postby Cassie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:37 pm

When I was little, my grandma had a budgie. Sometimes he would be afraid of larger toys like swings. Budgies don't like change very much and a new toy is an unknown thing invading his home. My grandma used to take him out of the cage and perch him on her finger and then tried to get him to perch on the swing as a way of introducing him to it. It was a slow process. Eventually he would get used to it and accept the new toy in his cage. What kind of toys did you get your budgie?
Indira

Postby Indira » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:28 am

I didn't realize budgies were so skittish of change. That's rough. I like how Cassie's grandmother handled it though; it seems like her approach really eases the transition.
Wenstar

Postby Wenstar » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:39 pm

I've had him three years now and he's a very happy little guy. He interacts with me and jumps on my hand inside the cage but doesn't want to come out. He enjoys the toys he already has and talks, whistles, and chirps all day so I know he's well-adjusted. I wanted to add a new manzanita branch and change some of his toys out to keep things interesting for him. I had a cockatiel that was the same way about anything new.
wateringpot

Postby wateringpot » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:22 pm

That's actually pretty typical of parakeets - is this your first budgie? It doesn't hurt to leave it next to the cage for a few days before placing it in the cage, but it doesn't always help. They'll adjust in a couple of weeks.
Indira

Postby Indira » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:03 am

Wenstar wrote:I've had him three years now and he's a very happy little guy. He interacts with me and jumps on my hand inside the cage but doesn't want to come out. He enjoys the toys he already has and talks, whistles, and chirps all day so I know he's well-adjusted. I wanted to add a new manzanita branch and change some of his toys out to keep things interesting for him. I had a cockatiel that was the same way about anything new.

He sounds like a good bird. How do you know if he is getting bored? If the bird seems happy, I probably wouldn't think to introduce a new toy at this point. On the other hand, since the transition can be hard on him, maybe it's better to do it while he's happy.
Wenstar

Postby Wenstar » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:28 pm

In particular, I wanted to add the new perch so his nails get worn down a little better. Plus, it is healthier for their feet to have perches that offer different surface sizes.

He's not my first parakeet. I got my first one when I was twelve and I have had several more since that time. I've had many different kinds of birds-several parakeets, African ringneck, conure, love bird, canaries, and a cockatiel.
Anora

Postby Anora » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:23 pm

Have you thought about leaving the toys out where they are semi-visible and just within reach? We ended up doing this with a puppy years ago, new toys were kept outside of his dog bed until he felt he wanted to go for it. Most of the time it took about a week before he would venture to anything new.

Return to “Habitats”