What should and shouldn't you feed wild British birds?

kibbles

What should and shouldn't you feed wild British birds?

Postby kibbles » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:18 am

With the terrible windy rainy weather we've been having lately, I feel so sorry for all the little birds out there trying to find food. I already put out bird seed in a feeder, but I figured I could put out food scraps too and wondered if anyone knew if there is anything that might accidentally be bad for them (like how grapes and onions are okay for humans but bad for dogs)?
Alyse

Re: What should and shouldn't you feed wild British birds?

Postby Alyse » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:59 pm

There are a few different things that you should not feed wild birds. The first is bread, especially moldy bread, which can be really bad for birds. They should also never be offered anything with chocolate in it just like dogs and cats. The best things to offer birds are seeds and even baked, cracked eggshells.
Harvey

Postby Harvey » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:53 pm

I was going to say eggshells. Birds love seeds too, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. I didn't know that you shouldn't fred birds bread. We have always tossed bread to the pigeons.
DogLovinMomma

Postby DogLovinMomma » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:55 am

I heard a long time ago that bread was very dangerous for wild birds because it swells up and can cause terrible digestion problems for them. I know they love all kinds of seeds too, but I had no idea birds enjoyed egg shells. Do ducks also like egg shells? We sometimes go see the wild ducks at a local state park lake in our area.

Return to “Health care”