Firework terror

Wenstar

Firework terror

Postby Wenstar » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:29 pm

Well, here we go. Time for the illegal blowing up of fireworks that terrorizes pets. My dog is perfectly fine with thunderstorms, but is really afraid of the unexpected booms that go off from fireworks. The first couple times, she's okay. The sustained noises, and I suspect the smell in the air, starts to get her really nervous until she hides her head under the bed. All around the entire neighborhood you can hear the howling and barking of many dogs. I wish people would be more courteous and not blow off their loudest fireworks in residential areas!
Claude

Re: Firework terror

Postby Claude » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:40 pm

My dog is very afraid of thunder and loud noises too. I've tried giving him anxiety pills, but with no luck. I don't know how to keep him calm either. The most I end up doing is shutting all the windows and turning on some music in the house so that he doesn't hear the noise as much. It seems to work most of the time.
jingles

Postby jingles » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:43 pm

My kitties are really scared of thunder and loud noises. They can barely tolerate the vacuum cleaner. We always make sure they are inside early on the afternoon of the 4th.
Wenstar

Postby Wenstar » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:37 pm

Right after the 4th of July, you can see that there are a lot of people posting about lost and/or found dogs. Poor things just try to run anywhere they can to get away from the noise and end up lost.

This year wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. There were a few people blowing off fireworks in the neighborhood but nothing too loud and they stopped by 11 o'clock.
Marjoram

Postby Marjoram » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:59 am

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. To our dismay, our municipal fireworks display has moved closer to our usually quiet neighborhood (but we still can't see them from here).

It turned out okay. No absolute freak-outs this year, despite the fact that some of the city fireworks sounded exactly like loud knocks on our door. The "knocking sounds" did rouse our hound to bark once or twice, until he got used to them. His fellow fur-folk didn't seem to notice a thing.

Our most "fun-loving" neighbors went away for the weekend. No doubt that helped a lot.
Sahara

Postby Sahara » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:15 pm

I have a friend whose Husky reacts like this to loud noises and she's actually had really good results with the ThunderShirt. It helps with thunderstorms, but it's also really good for things like fireworks.
kibbles

Postby kibbles » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:07 am

We have this same problem, except it's in November when Britain celebrates Guy Fawkes night by burning bonfires and setting off fireworks. The actual night is November 5th and there are usually council-run organised displays, but people will also let them off in their own gardens during the week before and after, which means you never know when it's going to happen. Last year my pup went mental every single time, no matter how we tried to muffle the sound with the radio or whatever. This year we decided to go and have a week's holiday in a cottage in the middle of nowhere and the silence was heavenly!

Return to “Training”