Toad in my shoe

Wenstar

Toad in my shoe

Postby Wenstar » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:18 pm

I got into the habit of leaving an old pair of sneakers by the back steps and I've found that there is a toad that likes to hide in one of them. I left the shoes, which I was going to throw away, where they are for now, but I'd like to set up something else for my toad friend. We have a lot of spiders and mosquitoes so the toads are very welcome.

I was thinking about using a clay flower pot as a toad house. I'm not sure how to make an opening for it to get inside without cracking the entire pot. Maybe there is a better idea?
wateringpot

Re: Toad in my shoe

Postby wateringpot » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Have you found the toad in your shoe frequently, then? I've never seen that where a toad will repeatedly hide somewhere. I'm not sure what you could use as a toad house, but I should think anything that offers them a bit of shade would be good.
Indira

Postby Indira » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:00 am

I could swear I've seen ceramic planters the size and shape of boots. Maybe something like that would be a good house for the toad. I think it's pretty cute that a toad likes hanging out in your shoe.
Wenstar

Postby Wenstar » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:12 pm

Oh, yes, I see it in the shoe all the time. I have seen toad houses for sale. They look like upside-down clay pots with a little door in the side. That's what I wanted to try and make myself but I am not sure how to make the door in the side without cracking the pot. I want to use clay because I think it would retain moisture better so it would be cooler.
Claude

Postby Claude » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:56 pm

I have a very small pond with a cascading waterfall that my frog likes to hang out near. He is always hiding under the rocks for the waterfall. There was also one time, that a frog got inside of the handle to my pool ladder before I put it on. When he did his croaking at night the sound was amplified so much that I really felt like he was enjoying himself. I do like the idea of the clay pot for him, but I'm not sure how you are going to make a hole in it without cracking it. Of course you could always just use the broken pieces and bury them halfway in the ground.
jingles

Postby jingles » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Why don't you try turning the clay pot on it's side with the large opening toward the outside. If the toad transitions to the pot then you may be able to make the opening smaller to make him feel more secure. Do you have any broken pot pieces and some Gorilla Glue? Let us know what you decide.
AlliKat

Postby AlliKat » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:07 pm

The pot shouldn't shatter. You could probably just lightly hit it with a hammer and no matter how it breaks it will work. Plus Terra Cotta pots aren't very expensive to begin with so if it does break more than you'd like it's just another couple of dollars if that.You could also just bury half of the pot and put some rocks around it to make the opening smaller, they'd love that too.
kibbles

Postby kibbles » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:28 pm

You can get terracotta strawberry planters that have multiple openings on the sides for the plants to spread out of - perhaps one of those would work? As long as the hole was big enough (or the toad was small enough - I don't really know how big they are?!) then it's like a ready made front door...and a back door, and a side door!

Return to “Habitats”