Swollen, red eyes

Alyse

Swollen, red eyes

Postby Alyse » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:12 pm

I just recently noticed, within the past few days, that my painted turtle has swollen, red eyes. I went to the pet store and got him some eye drops and I have been putting two drops in each eye with no change. I'm not sure what else to do for him. Does anyone know why his eyes are like this and if there is another way to fix him? I'm afraid that this is going to lead him to stop eating since he can't see.
Harvey

Re: Swollen, red eyes

Postby Harvey » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:34 pm

Oh goodness! I've never heard of that before. Did you check with the pet store to see if they had any ideas why. It makes sense that he would stop eating if he can't see.
Alyse

Postby Alyse » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:36 pm

We actually ended up taking him to the vet since ours looks at small animals too. She told us that he has a Vitamin K deficiency and that we have to give him this vitamin orally every other day until it clears up. After we get that taken care of then he has to have it once a week. I'm happy to report that it took about a month, but his eyes are finally nice and clear and he is happily swimming and eating again.
BlueEyedGirl

Postby BlueEyedGirl » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:58 am

So glad to hear the Vitamin K made him all better. I have never owned a painted turtle before, but they are certainly beautiful creatures. It is good to know how to resolve this problem if I get one in the future and have the same thing happen.

Return to “Health / Mental care”