Predators?

Marjoram

Predators?

Postby Marjoram » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:44 pm

For several years now, we've planned to, and procrastinated on, getting a small clutch of backyard chickens. Main goal is eggs.

Predators are our biggest show-stopper. We know several folks with chickens, and all of them have suffered heartbreaking losses. In some cases, their own dogs were responsible for some of the losses.

Our neighborhood is home to raccoons, possums, skunks, rats and aerial predators. We don't have a real stray dog problem, but there's a large feral cat population. And then, well, we have two big dogs of our own.

Is there an effective way to predator-proof coop areas and ranges? Also, how best to train dogs to coexist with their new (and tasty-looking) yard mates?

Thanks in advance!
jingles

Re: Predators?

Postby jingles » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Good luck with this. It sounds like you may be baiting the field, so to speak. You could try a chain linked enclosure with even the top closed in. Check with your local "feed and seed" store and see what they suggest.
Marjoram

Postby Marjoram » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:02 pm

( My OP probably should've been in the "Habitats" subforum, but then there's that pesky dog-training element ...)

Yes, "baiting the field" is precisely my concern. I've just learned that some folks keep chickens right in my neighborhood, so I asked one of them. She recommended hardware cloth in addition to smaller-gauged chicken fencing - and to use fencing and cloth as a floor to prevent digging.

Now, on to dog training. Any ideas?
Sahara

Postby Sahara » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:39 pm

I had a lengthy conversation over the weekend with a gentleman who raises free range chickens and has dogs. He said he went through quite a few dogs before he ended up with two that don't bother the chickens. Apparently, this guy is so attached to his chickens that he was okay with re-homing the dogs. To each his own. Anyway, to answer your question, I think you'd have to see your dogs around the chickens first to know how they're going to behave and what their main problems are going to be.

Return to “Health / Mental care”