Pig as a pet

Harvey

Pig as a pet

Postby Harvey » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:05 pm

I know pigs are farm animals. My daughter has been begging for one as a pet. A friend of hers just got one. Anyone have a pet pig? How much work are they?
Dorothy

Re: Pig as a pet

Postby Dorothy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:25 pm

I've seen some pictures recently of baby pigs that are just adorable. It is my understanding that pigs are very clean pets and can be trained to use a litter box. Are you looking at pot bellied pigs or just plain pigs?
whiteTiptoes

Postby whiteTiptoes » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:50 am

The miniature pink pigs are supposed to make great pets. They're supposed to be like dogs in many regards -- smart, easy to train, affectionate, etc. I would definitely consider it if we were allowed any type of pet other than dogs/cats in our apartment complex.
kibbles

Postby kibbles » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:53 pm

I'm not sure what country you're in, but my sister was looking into this as my niece has also been clamouring for a micropig after seeing them all over Instagram. When my sister investigated, it turns out there are all sorts of Governmental rules and regulations you have to abide by https://www.gov.uk/guidance/keeping-a-pet-pig-or-micropig. Even though you might be keeping it indoors, it's still technically classed as livestock and so is subject to all the same DEFRA (Dept of Environment, Food & Rural Affairs) rules. So definitely do some serious research before committing!

Return to “Health / Mental care”