Do Any Of You Have Goats?

DogLovinMomma

Do Any Of You Have Goats?

Postby DogLovinMomma » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:33 am

A few years ago I had 22 head of goats on my moms farm. We had a mixture of Boer, Spanish and Nubian goats and I thoroughly enjoyed raising them. At times, they were a handful because they would take down the fence and I had to put them back up and repair it. But, overall, goats are wonderful animals and they keep grass and weeds eaten down wonderfully. Have any of you ever owned goats and if so, how did you like it?
Harvey

Re: Do Any Of You Have Goats?

Postby Harvey » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:33 pm

No, I've never owned a goat. I don't really know the value of owning goats. You said they keep the grass down but what other benefits do you get from goats? I've always been curious about this.
Alyse

Postby Alyse » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:27 pm

I've never had the opportunity to own goats, but I have a friend that does. She uses their milk for drinking which has helped cut down on her dairy bill. She has even used their meat when things have gotten tight financially. There are many benefits to owning your own goat.
DogLovinMomma

Postby DogLovinMomma » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:25 am

We kept our goats to keep the grass and weeds eaten down on the hillside. It was way to steep and too much work for one person to try and keep cut with a weedeater. However, where I am from, many people sell goats to the meat market during late fall/early winter. They buy them in early spring and keep them until summer is over. Goats are also handy for milking and using their milk to make cheese, butter and goat's milk soap.
Goats can also be very gentle if you raise them from the time they are babies. I once had a nanny goat who had triplets, but she was only able to nurse two at a time. This left me to bottle feed one of them while the others nursed. I always took turns with bottle feeding the babies so I could get them all tame. We kept them all as pets and grass eaters for several years because they were so sweet and gentle.
When we finally sold all our goats, we sold them to a man who had a lot more acreage on his farm than we did. The idea of selling them to the meat market was just too heartbreaking for me.

Return to “Habitats”