How Much Land Is Needed For One Cow?

DogLovinMomma

How Much Land Is Needed For One Cow?

Postby DogLovinMomma » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:25 am

We are considering fencing in some of our land and getting a calf to raise as a pet. I would love to have a cow to milk and I have always thought cattle were really beautiful animals. How much land is needed to fence in an area big enough for one cow? I do not have any plans of ever having more than one at a time because it would be only for the purpose of making a pet out of it and having her for fresh milk.
Alyse

Re: How Much Land Is Needed For One Cow?

Postby Alyse » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:33 pm

Cows can be kept on an acre or two as long as you have another way to feed them. You want to make sure that there will be enough room for the cow to graze and then a space to offer hay in the wintertime, if necessary. Just remember that cows will feed about twelve hours a day, so make sure there will be enough grass for consumption.
DogLovinMomma

Re: How Much Land Is Needed For One Cow?

Postby DogLovinMomma » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:10 am

Thanks for the advice, Alyse. If I have a calf on an acre of land and it grazes for 12 hours a day, how often would I need to give it grain each day? My ex-inlaws used to feed their herd of 20 or so cattle twice a day. I am guessing that a young calf would need to be fed this often too?

Return to “Habitats”