Outdoor Kitties becoming indoor kitties

Dorothy

Outdoor Kitties becoming indoor kitties

Postby Dorothy » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:11 pm

We're in the process of moving and my outdoor kitties will have to become indoor kitties. I know they're not going to like this but we will be living on an island with foxes and raccoons. I watched a wild fox this week acting crazy only to find out that distemper was taking it's toll on the wild animal population here. My kitties will just have to learn to be happy inside.
Harvey

Re: Outdoor Kitties becoming indoor kitties

Postby Harvey » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:20 pm

This will be a hard change for them. You'll hear a lot of meowing in the beginning. I think keeping them indoors is a great idea. It's much safer indoors.
Alyse

Postby Alyse » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:22 pm

It definitely is much safer for a pet to be indoors. That is where my cats have always lived. How did yours end up adjusting? I've never had to take an older cat and train them to be indoors instead of out. The closest thing I've done to this is when someone drops off a stray and I decide to adopt it. Of course, they always end up being really young when I try to do this.
DogLovinMomma

Postby DogLovinMomma » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:42 pm

I have done this in the past when the weather got too cold for my cats to stay outside. Getting them to learn to use the litter box indoors was a breeze. However, I had to watch them closely because every time someone opened the door, they tried to run outside. If your cats are not already spayed or neutered, getting this done often helps them adapt to being inside all the time much easier.

Return to “Health / mental care”